Ahhhh…there’s nothing quite like the aroma of freshly baked muffins in the morning. My house is filled with the scent of pumpkin and sweet spices mmmmmmm!
This is one of my favourite muffin recipes! Lately, I’ve been keeping a bag of them in the freezer and grabbing them for snacks when I’m on the go. They’re packed with wholesome ingredients like pumpkin, carrots, nuts and wheat bran! The pumpkin keeps them moist, so there’s only 1/4 cup of oil in the whole batch.
Throw one of these in your lunch bag and you won’t be tempted by those high fat/sugar Starbucks muffins =).
Pumpkin Carrot Muffins
Source: The Looneyspoons Collection
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran or whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (*see note at bottom if you don’t have this)
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or liquid honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
*how to make pumpkin pie spice: 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp each ground ginger and nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a a large bowl, combine flour, wheat bran, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, yogurt, maple syrup, oil, egg and vanilla. Stir in carrots. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir using a wooden spoon just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- Berry Mojito Yogurt Popsicle - June 24, 2018
- Lemon Coconut Bites & Gingerbread Smoothie [Plus a doTERRA Essential Oil Giveaway] - December 17, 2017
- Coconut Kabocha Squash Curry - October 15, 2017