Happy Meatless Monday! Meatless Monday is an international campaign that isn’t about becoming vegetarian, but it encourages healthy, sustainable eating and reducing the burden of greenhouse gas emissions on the planet.
Did you know that the first Meatless Monday happened
during World War I, when Americans were encouraged to give up some of their staple foods to help the war effort? This conservation of food supported U.S. troops and fed populations in Europe where food production and distribution had been disrupted by war. The United States Food Administration created the slogan “Food Will Win the War” and coined the terms “Meatless Monday” and “Wheatless Wednesday” to remind Americans to reduce intake of those products. Years later, the purpose has changed but the approach is much the same – get creative, get meatless one day a week!
In honour of Meatless Monday, I present you with the Glory Bowl! I know I say this a lot, but this is one of my FAVOURITE recipes! I first tried this recipe when I used to volunteer at a cafe at UBC called Agora. Every Wednesday we would cook a big lunch for about 60 people, using fresh, organic, and local ingredients, much of which were from our very own UBC Farm. There’s nothing quite like the taste of fresh beets and carrots fresh from the farm just down the street! The fresh grated vegetables combined with the unique tasting dressing are the absolute perfect, mouth-watering combination.
Oh and I should mention that for you “tofu skeptics” out there, this recipe just might make you change your mind. Trust me, I’ve converted a few people =)
Source: Whitewater Cooks By Shelley Adams
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup beets, grated
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup almonds, toasted
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 package firm tofu cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes (can be purchased from Save-On-Foods and specialty health food stores)
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- Prepare rice and set aside.
- To prepare dressing combine nutritional yeast flakes, water, tamari or soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, tahini and crushed garlic in blender. Add oil in a steady stream. Optional: place tofu cubes in a shallow dish and pour 1/4 of the dressing over to marinade while preparing the vegetables.
- Sauté tofu cubes in a skillet on medium heat with the dressing (for about 5 minutes).
- To assemble the bowls, place cooked brown rice into 4 bowls, top with beets, carrots, spinach leaves, almonds, and sautéed tofu cubes.
- Drizzle bowls with the dressing.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- Berry Mojito Yogurt Popsicle - June 24, 2018
- Lemon Coconut Bites & Gingerbread Smoothie [Plus a doTERRA Essential Oil Giveaway] - December 17, 2017
- Coconut Kabocha Squash Curry - October 15, 2017