Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it’s often high in sugar, unhealthy fats and oils, and is packed full of fillers and unnecessary ingredients. Homemade granola is a cut above anything you can buy in the store. And you can so easily customize it by adding your favourite ingredients. Not to mention, your house will smell amazing – like you’ve been slaving in the kitchen all day!
For the perfect breakfast, construct a delicious parfait by layering your granola with protein-packed plain greek yogurt, fresh fruit and cinnamon. You can also eat it as a snack, use as a topping for a baked apple, bake into muffins or bread, sprinkle on oatmeal for some crunch, add to smoothies, and put in pancake batter. Granola also makes a great gift!
Granola will keep in an airtight container for a few weeks (although I can’t say it ever lasts that long without being eaten in my house…)
Coconut Date Granola
Source: Carolyn Berry
- 3 cups large flake oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds & pecans)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp canola oil or light-tasting oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put all dry ingredients together in a large bowl and mix together.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until well combined.
- Spread granola evenly between 2 cookie sheets. Bake for ~20-25 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking.
- Add chopped dates to granola once cooled. Store in an airtight container.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- Berry Mojito Yogurt Popsicle - June 24, 2018
- Lemon Coconut Bites & Gingerbread Smoothie [Plus a doTERRA Essential Oil Giveaway] - December 17, 2017
- Coconut Kabocha Squash Curry - October 15, 2017