Okay, all of you non-breakfast eaters, you now have no excuse. These buttermilk oatmeal carrot breakfast squares are too easy, delicious and nutritious to pass up. Take half an hour out of your Sunday and make your breakfast for the entire week! Buttermilk creates a tender texture, carrots and applesauce add moisture, and maple syrup and cinnamon add a warm, comforting flavour.
These squares pack a punch of nutrition! Many store-bought muffins and loaves are made with omega-6-rich oils such as soybean oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, corn oil, etc. Us North Americans get so much omega-6 fat in our diets, due to the fact that we eat so many store-bought/processed foods. But what we really need are more omega-3 fats. By using omega-3 rich canola oil and walnuts in this recipe, you can do just that. Another good reason to make foods from scratch instead of buying packaged foods.
If you aren’t already sold, these squares will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. You can also store them in the freezer (individually wrapped and placed in a freezer bag).
Nutrition Benefits & Tips:
- High in fibre: oats, ground flaxseeds, whole wheat flour, wheat bran, applesauce, carrots and walnuts are all sources of fibre in this recipe. Fibre helps to keep our GI tract healthy and can help to lower cholesterol.
- Canola oil: Its high omega-3 fat content and antioxidant component have some powerful health benefits, such as a reduced risk of heart disease.
- Walnuts are a rich source of omega-3 fats, vitamin E, manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.
- Maple syrup is a natural sweetener. Substitute with honey for a different flavour.
- Skim milk powder is a natural way to add a boost of protein, calcium and vitamin D. A balanced breakfast should always include a source of protein.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- Berry Mojito Yogurt Popsicle - June 24, 2018
- Lemon Coconut Bites & Gingerbread Smoothie [Plus a doTERRA Essential Oil Giveaway] - December 17, 2017
- Coconut Kabocha Squash Curry - October 15, 2017