In honour of St. Patrick’s Day, I decided to make a loaf of rustic Irish soda bread. This traditional Irish loaf is moist, extremely dense, and unmistakably satisfying. It’s also incredibly easy to make! With no yeast or rising time required, and minimal kneading time, it only took me 10 minutes to throw everything together and into the oven it went.
The currants give a subtle sweetness and the wheat flour, wheat bran and flaxseeds add heartiness (and fibre too, of course). Add grated cheese and chives for a different flavour combination, or swap the currants for raisins, cranberries or chopped apricots. Serve alongside a bowl of steaming stew, with a smear of butter or jam, or……….with a mug of green beer =) Cheers!
Irish Soda Bread
Source: Carolyn Berry
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat bran or oat bran
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cold butter
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Stir together the flours, wheat bran, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter. When the butter pieces are about the size of green peas, add the currants and stir. Add the buttermilk and stir only until all the ingredients are combined (do not overmix).
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly until it is smooth. Form into a flattened ball, about 2 inches high. Place the dough on a greased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the milk over the top and sides of the dough. With a sharp knife, cut an “X” on the top (not all the way to the edges), about 1/4 inch deep.
- Place in the oven and bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly on a rack. Serve warm.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce - August 7, 2017
- The Fennel Countdown to Your Summer BBQ - June 18, 2017
- 2 Impactful Reasons to Eat Crickets [Plus a Coast Cricket Protein Bar Giveaway] - March 28, 2017