This recipe was featured in the Huffington Post
“Cauliflower is the perfect opportunity for culinary experimentation” says Vancouver chef and restauranteur, Vikram Vij. I couldn’t agree more! Cauliflower didn’t used to be one of my favourite vegetables. It would sit in my fridge until it was nearly past the point of no return and then I would resort to chopping it up and eating it raw with dip. Then I tried to mimic one of my favourite restaurant dishes, roasted caulifower, and I was sold on the versatility of this seemingly boring vegetable.
Cauliflower mash (aka “faux potatoes”) is delightfully light, smooth and creamy. It’s one of the most versatile side dishes you can create. I love it with braised short ribs or tucked under my favourite chicken stroganoff. You can also try different add-ins to change up the flavour such as sundried tomatoes, chives, parsley, horseradish, olive oil or feta cheese.
This cauliflower mash is a great substitution for mashed potatoes, for those individuals who are trying to reduce their starch portions for health reasons such as high blood sugars, or just personal choice.
Source: Carolyn Berry
- 1 large head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- Vegetable or chicken broth, low-sodium (enough to cover cauliflower by 1 inch)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth, cauliflower and garlic cloves to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover, allowing to cook for 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender and easily mashed with a fork.
- Once cauliflower is tender and cooked through, pour off any excess stock that remains.
- Pour drained cauliflower and garlic into a food processor and add all other ingredients. Blend until smooth. Serve with your favourite dish.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- Coconut Kabocha Squash Curry - October 15, 2017
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce - August 7, 2017
- The Fennel Countdown to Your Summer BBQ - June 18, 2017