How would you like it if your breakfast was being prepared while you were sleeping? I thought this would be an appropriate time to share with you my favorite breakfast! Tomorrow I’m running the BMO Vancouver Marathon, and this is certainly the type of hearty breakfast that I need to get me through a 4 hour run. I just love waking up to the scrumptious smell of cinnamon and maple syrup. In other words, let your slow cooker do all the work while you get your beauty sleep =)
Make this oatmeal your own by adding all of your favourite toppings including: any type of nut/nut butter, seed, dried fruit, fresh fruit, dried coconut flakes, cocoa powder, different types of milk (coconut milk is delicious!). You may even look so forward to it that you’ll be jumping out of bed when the alarm goes off at 6:oo am.
So what’s all the hype about steel-cut oats as opposed to quick oats or old fashioned/rolled oats? Steel cut oats are the least processed of them all. They’re whole oats that have been cut by steel blades into small pieces. Old-fashioned/rolled oats are steamed and rolled/flattened, allowing them to be cooked and digested faster. Quick-cook oats are cut into small pieces before being steamed and rolled. This means they only take 5 minutes to cook. Because the steel-cut oats are minimally processed, they take longer to digest, meaning that they’ll keep you feeling fuller for longer, and they have a lower glycemic index. In general, oats are high in fiber and can even reduce cholesterol and control blood pressure.
Overnight, Slow Cooker, Maple Banana Steel-Cut Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3.5 cups skim milk (can use any type of milk you like such as coconut, almond, etc)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 bananas
- Coat the slow cooker with cooking spray or butter to prevent the oatmeal from sticking.
- Put all of the ingredients except the raisins and bananas into the slow cooker, stir, and put the lid on. Set it to the low temperature and cook for 7-9 hours.
- In the morning, add the raisins, fresh banana slices and any of your favourite toppings. I usually sprinkle on some chia and hemp seeds. The leftover oatmeal can be portioned into containers and refrigerated to be reheated and enjoyed for 3-4 days.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- Lemon Coconut Bites & Gingerbread Smoothie [Plus a doTERRA Essential Oil Giveaway] - December 17, 2017
- Coconut Kabocha Squash Curry - October 15, 2017
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce - August 7, 2017