Early September marks back to school and back into that dreaded word (for some) “routine.” With a busy schedule, having healthy snacks on hand is a must! These little bites are the perfect punch of energy you need to get you through that tough workout, or just through the day. They’re a great balance of fibre and protein, which is what a healthy, balanced snack should have. So skip the granola bar aisle and try to avoid snacks with an ingredient list for the most part.
With minimal prep, no kitchen gadgets needed, and no baking involved, these snacks are a no-brainer. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week, or in freezer in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months, and take them out as needed.
Click here for other energy bite recipes.
Nutrition Benefits & Tips:
- High in fibre: oats, ground flaxseeds, chia seeds, pecans, raisins.
- Pecans are a great source of minerals like manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium, as well as fibre and healthy fats.
- Natural peanut butter is a great source of healthy fat. Try substituting a different nut or seed butter. For peanut-free schools/classrooms, substitute natural sunflower seed butter.
- Honey is a natural sweetener.
- Boost protein by adding 1/4 cup skim milk powder to the recipe.
- Healthy snacks, including this one, should have both fiber and protein.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- 2 Impactful Reasons to Eat Crickets [Plus a Coast Cricket Protein Bar Giveaway] - March 28, 2017
- Turmeric Hummus - March 5, 2017
- Matcha Green Smoothie - February 4, 2017