Chocolate for breakfast anyone? Go right ahead! The addition of natural, unsweetened cocoa powder adds not only a delicious chocolatey flavour, but has the added benefit of antioxidants, which are disease-fighting compounds.
Overnight oatmeal is my daily go-to breakfast for a number of reasons:
1. Takes 5 minutes to prep the night before, and is ready-to-eat in the morning
2. Is a healthy, balanced breakfast with whole grains, protein, fruit and plenty of fibre
3. The flavour variations are endless!
Nutrition Benefits & Tips:
- High in fibre: oats, chia seeds, raisins, banana. 2 tbsp of chia seeds provides 32% daily value for fibre.
- Omega-3 fats: Chia seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fats, which are beneficial for heart health. 2 tbsp of chia seeds provides more than double the recommended intake for omega-3 fats.
- Calcium & vitamin D: For the average person this recipe provides 50% daily value for calcium and 30% daily value for vitamin D
- Raisins are dense sources of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium copper, fluoride, and zinc
- Protein: This recipe contains approximately 25 g of protein. Try to include at least 20 g of protein with breakfast daily.
- Antioxidants: cocoa powder (specifically natural, unsweetened cocoa) packs a punch of antioxidants (flavanols), which are powerful disease-fighters.
Latest posts by Carolyn Berry (see all)
- 2 Impactful Reasons to Eat Crickets [Plus a Coast Cricket Protein Bar Giveaway] - March 28, 2017
- Turmeric Hummus - March 5, 2017
- Matcha Green Smoothie - February 4, 2017